Staff and postgraduates from Classics regularly contribute to summer school initiatives both at St Andrews and further afield.
Sutton Trust Summer School
The Sutton Trust Summer School gives pupils from anywhere in the UK the opportunity to experience academic life at St Andrews for one week for free. Our talks, offered alongside colleagues from History, have included:
- ‘Classical reception’ (Emma Buckley)
- ‘Coins as evidence for the ancient world’ (Sian Lewis)
- ‘Comedy, tragedy and Waking the Dead: Introduction to Greek theatre and Aristophanes’ Frogs’ (Jon Hesk)
- ‘Gladiators in fact and fiction’ (Jon Coulston)
- ‘Greeks and Romans’ (Nicolas Wiater)
- ‘Roman identity’ (Emma Buckley)
- ‘The armour of the Roman army in Scotland’ (Jon Coulston)
- ‘The gods of ancient Greece’ (Michael Carroll)
Classical Association of Scotland Greek and Latin Summer School
The first CAS Greek and Latin Summer School, organised by Tom Harrison and Alex Imrie, took place in Edinburgh in the second week of July 2019. Classes were offered at all levels of Greek and Latin, alongside evening lectures, museum visits, and social events. Student bursaries were also available thanks to the generosity of Classics for All and the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies.